AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 2 23:47:38 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 15:10 , Ricky Beam <jfbeam at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:38 -0500, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
>> If you even hint at a  /64 as the standard for residential deployment,
>
> I never said that should be the standard.  The way most systems do it today, you get a /64 without doing anything.  If that's all you need, then you're done.  If you want more networks, you ask for them via DHCPv6, and you can ask for prefix size you need (you may not get it, 'tho.)  Currently, ISPs are defaulting to /60 as that's fair compromise for current networking. It's an easy limit to change, if they're willing to do it.
>
>> Trying to develop the automation necessary for consumer plug-n-play
>> subnets shows that even a /56 is virtually unusable...
>
> I'm the insane one for saying a single /64 and a /60 are perfectly workable today, but every damned device in the home getting it's very own /64 is *NECESSARY*??? If that's your only answer to home automation, then you should quit now, and leave the solar system.
>
> Multiple networks REQUIRE a working understanding of networking; we have yet to escape that.  I get how people want to make networking as dumb and simple as possible. However, giving an entire /64 LAN to a single device for a single purpose is certifiably insane. If a 2^64 address LAN cannot hold all of the devices in your house, there's something very wrong here. :-) I do understand the desire, and even need, for system isolation, but a LAN-per-device is beyond insane.

Again, the real world has already proven you wrong about this.

Multiple home gateways are being sold to people who know nothing about networking and yet are able to work with these gateways that divide their network up into multiple networks.

People are able to use mobile hotspot capability on their cell phones and tablets without a working understanding of networking.

More automation and improved software are being developed.

> Also, until 20$ switches become infinitely more intelligent, the typical home network is a flat network. (with a "maybe" on isolation between wired and wireless)  The only logical reason for multiple /64 LANs is multiple, isolated networks... wifi, guest wifi, lan-1, lan-2, lan-3, lan-4 (for 4 port router), beyond physical ports are VLANs and thus switches that can handle VLANs, and something has to configure all that.

$40 routers (switches won't cut it here because switches don't cross network boundaries, as anyone with a working knowledge of networking would tell you) are already intelligent enough.

What you will find in the future (and are already starting to see today) is things like receivers acting as a router and front-ending an ether-over-HDMI network that interconnects certain capabilities on all of the attached AV components. These capabilities are only beginning to emerge, but they are being built into consumer goods already with IPv4 and will definitely see more complex more capable configurations in IPv6.

You will also see things like intelligent refrigerators acting as a router to front end the array of sensors and other connected devices in Pantries and small appliances.

You'll start seeing more and more things like smoke detectors and light bulbs that are IPv6 connected and/or 6LOWPAN attached. (Hint, NEST has already released an IPv4 smoke detector).

Do you really want your smoke detectors on the same network as your teenager's pr0n surfing?

Owen