looking for hostname geographic hint validation

tabris tabris at tabris.net
Tue Aug 27 20:35:28 UTC 2013

On 08/27/2013 12:33 PM, Bradley Huffaker wrote:
> We are currently working on an algorithm that automatically detects
> geographic hints inside of hostnames. At this point we are seeking
> operators who can validate some of our inferences. Please contact me
> if you can valid one of the inferences below or can provide us with one
> we have missed.

> # Inferences
>
> <iata> (International Air Transport Association airport code)
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code
> <iaco> International Civil Aviation Organization airport code
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization_airport_code
> <clli> COMMON LANGUAGE Location Identifier Code
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLLI
> <city name>  largest populated city with the given name
>              for example "sandiego" is "San Diego, CA, US"
>                                          <iata>.yahoo.com

not in every case is iata helpful for yahoo.

There is lax.yahoo.com and sjc.yahoo.com, but that's really only true
for a few limited peering-points.
for non-US, most of the actual data centres have names related to the
country. in US often more city related, but even that's a bit hairy with
places like 'mud.yahoo.com'
peering points are still somewhat more random, may be city, country, or
partner related ['the' is in london, for example]