IP Fragmentation - Not reliable over the Internet?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Aug 30 01:15:59 UTC 2013

In message <a708ea6a03eb4ca7a14f5b16e4ce8dda at BN1PR03MB171.namprd03.prod.outlook
.com>, Christopher Palmer writes:
> This is what I'm concerned about:
>
> """
> 1. If I originate IP packet fragments, such as an 8000 byte NFS packet
> broken into 1500 byte fragments, what's the probability of some host
> before the other endpoint dropping one or all of those fragments?
> """

For wide area NFS I would be using TCP not UDP.  If you can't use
TCP you should ensure that the firewalls at both ends pass fragmented
UDP packet.  NFS is generally not open to the world so fragmentation
and NFS is essentially a local issue.  Fragments don't get routinely
dropped in the core.

Ensure that the firealls at both ends pass ICMP/ICMPv6 PTB.  Only
idiots block all ICMP/ICMPv6.  Yes there are a lot of idiots in the
world.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org