Parsing Syslog and Acting on it, using other input too

Kasper Adel karim.adel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 13:03:14 UTC 2013

Hello.

I am looking for a way to do proactive monitoring of my network, what I am
specifically thinking about is receiving syslog msgs from the routers and
the backend engine would correlate certain msgs with output/data that i am
receiving through SSH/telnet sessions. What i am after is not exposed to
SNMP so i need to do it on my own.

I am sure there are many tools that can do parsing of syslog and acting
upon it but i wonder if there is something more flexible out there that I
can just re-use to do the above ? Please point me to known public or
home-grown scripts in use to achieve this.

Regards,

Sam