Evaluating Tier 1 Internet providers

Richard Hesse richard.hesse at weebly.com
Wed Aug 28 07:14:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

> I would add:
>
>   - response you can expect when you call one day and say "our 10GE is
> maxed out with inbound traffic from apparently everywhere, it has been
> going on for an hour, please help"

That was good for a laugh.

If it's a DoS, you know what the answer already is. "We no longer offer
filtering for any of our customers. You must upgrade to the DDoS prevention
service." We've actually made a list of other companies that share our
providers' downstream links in each facility and reached out to them. We
get them to call up and complain to said tier1 provider that "something is
affecting our traffic." That usually gets filters installed....otherwise no
dice.

If it's a legit capacity issue, you'll get a response whenever your sales
guy comes back into the office.

-richard