[newtech-1] Barclays wifi

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Aug 28 06:24:33 UTC 2013

One can only speculate on bandwidth, but a further source reveals that they
are using "multicast wi-fi"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4006836/barclays-center-app-replays-smartphone

It's all powered by Cisco's new StadiumVision Mobile, which reps compared
> to how cable is delivered to your TV: instead of everyone having to crowd
> onto a single connection, the "multicast" connection splits the feed and
> delivers the same thing individually to everyone. That means my stream is
> the same whether I'm alone in the stadium or surrounded by 19,000 other
> Nets fans. In practice, it works remarkably well — I didn't get a chance to
> test it with 19,000 people, but even in a quickly-filling arena my stream
> never slowed or broke. I switched between a game feed and a stationary
> camera above the rim, and jumping back into a replay worked seamlessly.

The stream is delayed about two seconds from the game itself, which for
> replays is actually perfect — by the time you look down the play's
> happening again. It does make it impossible to listen to the TV feed's
> announcers, though, since they're always slightly behind the game as it
> unfolds.