Evaluating Tier 1 Internet providers
bryan at serverstack.com
Tue Aug 27 21:45:08 UTC 2013
To add some more from recent experiences.. Most of these are in colocation
- speed to handle your emergency support call. (recent experience, some
tier1 can take a couple hours)
- if support requires a portal opened ticket, is the staff to reset a
password also 24/7.
- Latency in your region. (recent experience: I removed 4 circuits
because the backbones weren't the same in different areas).
- Is you location a pop, metro ring or dedicated fiber elsewhere.
- To get more specific, where is their peering in relationship to you.
Strong peering not near you could mean a lot of extra latency just to get
off their network.
More information about the NANOG