TCP Performance

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:42:17 UTC 2013

This really sounds like you aren't testing the correct flow type in
i/jperf, or you have some QoS queues for http traffic but not the perf
traffic that are filled.

Regardless, your problem looks like either tail drops or packet loss, which
you showed originally. The task is to find out where this is occurring, and
which of the two it is. If you want to confirm what is going on, there are
some great bandwidth calculators on the internet which will show you what
bandwidth you can get with a given ms delay and % packet loss.

As far as flow control, its really outside the scope. If you ever need flow
control, there is usually a specific reason like FCoE, and if not, it's
generally better to just fix the backplane congestion issue if you can,
than ever worry about using FC. The problem with FC isn't node to node, its
when you have node to node to node with additional devices, it isn't smart
enough to discriminate, and can crater your network 3 devices over when it
would be much better to just lose a few packets.

-Blake