[Q] What is your favorite Network Tools Live CD / USB, which you could have running in remote offices?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Aug 22 17:58:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, Michael Shuler wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 12:06 PM, Stefan wrote:
> > I've been toying with Live distros (CD, then USB) for many years, in
> > support of security toolsets, to which I kept adding my own stuff, or
> > customizing existing components.
> >
> > I am now trying to "build" a network toolset LiveCD/USB, but this time with
> > a completely different purpose: I would like to put it in the hands of all
> > remote offices we have on our network, and use it to have local systems
> > boot out of it, and help us then run troubleshooting tools, from the
> > central office, by SSH/X-ing into the remote live system (e.g. iperf,
> > hping3, httping, tcping, mtr, tcpdump, voip tools, some "thin"
> > clients/apps, synthetic transactions scripted to run at diff time
> > intervals, and report back to us the "health" seen form the remotes, etc.).
> > Has anybody used a "base" network tools Live CD/USB that they would
> > recommend, having used as "basis" for such a "network probe" functionality?
>
> http://www.kali.org/ - it is completely customizable, as well.

Alternatively, GRML Linux:

http://grml.org/features/

http://grml.org/files/

http://grml.org/faq/

I understand it is more about admin than pentesting. Also, last time I
downloaded (few months ago), images were somewhere in <=~ 400MB area (vs
Kali's 2GB, AFAIK). I am not sure about customizations. It is some kind of
Debian's relative, so, in theory, why not.

BTW, I am long time lurker and this is my first post here, so hello
everybody. You guys know what are your interests - mine are there, too,
either full set or a subset.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola