Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Aug 21 16:47:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:10:32PM -0400, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Clayton Zekelman wrote:
>
> >Just wondering aloud if an ISP that did have commercial interest
> >could run a non-member driven exchange point successfully as long
> >as they had pricing and policies that were similar to member
> >driven exchange points.
>
> Verrrry interesting that you raise that.
>
> IIRC, Albuquerque has NMIX which I think was setup as for-profit.
> (John Brown are you still here?)  Well over a decade ago now, my
> recollection is fuzzy.  I don't recall the reasoning in choosing
> for-profit over nont-for-profit.

NMIX was a group of NM ISPs on a shared router at (last of?) the local
feeders into what was once WestNet in the NSF days.  It had a local NNTP
server and (I believe) a couple of other services.  It was useful back
in the days when you could plumb some T1s to an AGS+ and make people
happy.

Mr. Brown's attempt at an exchange (IXNM) lasted about 8 years, and can
probably be counted as an example of failure for such a model.  The
political side overwhelmed any technical advantage in Albuquerque.

While it never became an importan IX, from the outside it looked like it
was a successful bandwidth co-op with several local ISPs buying from it
and benefiting from the local connectivity.

Perhaps others can make a go at it?