Vancouver IXP - VanTX - BCNet

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ottix.net
Wed Aug 21 14:21:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> In Montreal, is anyone at the Peer1 exchange other than Peer1?
>> Peer1 exchanges are only open to Peer1 customers, I believe. At least,
>> that's how it worked in Toronto the last time I looked.
>
> that is not an exchange.  most isps have switches in their transit
> infrastructure.

+1

The Peer1 setups remind me very much of what Group Telecom (defunct
Canadian backbone provider) did in the very late 90's and the very early
part of the last decade.  They had them in nearly every city they had
their facilities, but the GT IXPs never caught on ($$$ to get inside the
facility and they played hard ball against incumbant access effectively
making them closed unless direct GT customers.)

wfms