Typical warranty for generic DWDM transceivers

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Tue Aug 20 13:04:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Manuel Marín wrote:

> We are currently evaluating the use of generic third party optics (SFP+ and
> XFP) for 40Kms and 80Kms applications from vendors like NHR and Champion
> One and I was wondering if someone in the group has experience using optics
> from these vendors.

I am biased.  My wife sells 3rd party optics at SubSpace Communications,
but I think our data is valuable.

She has sold many thousands of optics, all with lifetime warrantys.  Many
of them to very large and clueful organizations, many of whom are
represented here on NANOG.  Of those thousands sold, I can count less than
20 that have been returned.

I've also worked for VARs in the past, and work with several of
them today, selling new OEM branded optics.  I've found a MUCH higher
percentage of OEM optics having to be returned to the manufacturer.

Of course, take my report with a grain of salt.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442