Trivium

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue Aug 20 05:35:37 UTC 2013

I agree. I think its over stated. But I do think there was a more direct
customer-disadvantage outcome, albiet increadibly brief. I think a bunch of
people like me have now got a better sense our always-on backend is
'brittle' even if very very strong, most of the time.

http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status&ts=1376701087982 suggests
it was a disconnection from considerably more than search. I don't believe
index analogies jusify some of the
scaling/visualization/comparison-to-root-dns things, but I would have been
made distinctly uncomfortable in some circumstances by the loss of google
backed email, google drive, and their implicit "no local storage required:
you're always on" behaviour. An example is when I posted some stuff to the
UK from the  Post office across from the hotel at IETF, and spend 2 min
online searching google mail for the address. Or, given the new "your
airline ticket on your phone" model, I might have been trying to checkin at
the last 5 minutes onto a flight. Or get into a ball game...

Is this "40% of the net offline" ? no. Was it pretty wide reaching? Yes.