WaPo writes about vulnerabilities in Supermicro IPMIs

Anthony Bonkoski ajbonkoski at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 19:19:31 UTC 2013

There's a few misconceptions I'd like to address, plus add some backstory.

The Washington Post article is intentionally void of details. It is
intended as a non-technical article. You can find the actual technical
paper here:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/woot13/illuminating-security-issues-surrounding-lights-out-server-management

Cipher-0  is an awful, yet well-known issue that comes directly from the
Intel spec, and thus affects a large set of implementations. Here's an
excellent write-up: http://fish2.com/ipmi/cipherzero.html

The iDRAC testurls vuln. was a result of the firmware being shipped with a
developer debugging webpage that could be used as a backdoor.

Recent work shows that some password hashes can be recovered and cracked.

In this latest development, we reverse engineered a SuperMicro/ATEN
firmware binary and discovered security gross negligence. We discovered the
very worst vuln: client-side only input checking, shell-injection, and
trivial buffer-overflows in many CGI programs including the user/pass
fields of the login page. Further, the device has almost no modern
buffer-overflow defenses (DEP, ASLR, and Stack Carries). We show that it is
*easy* to exploit these flaws and gain a root shell. This is especially
nasty because the system operator is not give access to a Unix shell on the
BMC, thus a remote attacker can gain more capabilities on the BMC than even
the administrator.

In short, the previous work should certainly be enough to make any sys
admin fear exposing IPMI to a public IP.

However, the problem is much worse than we previously thought. This
particular implementation shows a complete disregard for even the most
basic security practices.

-Anthony