Google having issues?

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Aug 16 23:42:47 UTC 2013

At about 5 minutes to 4:00p PDT, downforeveryoneorjustme.com confirmed that "it's not just you!" for google.com; in fact, it's still saying that, although I can reach Google services on our network now.

I could also ping Google, but I tried to open a connection to port 80 on google.com via telnet around the time I started having problems, and I was just getting connection refused (immediate RST received upon transmission of SYN) across multiple Google IPs.  I then VPN'd over to an off-net DSL connection, and from there I had no trouble accessing Google, but OS X telnet (which apparently will automatically try multiple IPs if DNS resolution comes back with multiple A records) showed that it was still getting "connection refused" on a few IPs before it finally struck gold.

-- Nathan