How big is the Internet? - Results

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Aug 16 20:18:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Thanks for all the comments.  Through the entire thread on-line and off-line
> only one person contributed an estimate
>
> Patrick Gilmore said:
>  All that said: My back-of-the-envelope math says the Internet is order
>  of 1 exabyte/day, as defined by my own rules on what counts as "the
>  Internet"[*].  I could easily be wrong, but you asked.

Perhaps the answers would have made more sense if everyone knew exactly
what the question was.  :)

You asked for an estimate of the "size of the Internet", but didn't
specify if you meant number of networks comprising the Internet, number of
devices connected to the Internet, combined total transit for all ASNs
connected to the Internet, etc.  The nature of the Internet is that nobody
knows the answers to any of these questions.  How do you know what goes on
in my networks?  So any "answers" are really only wild guesses.