Cisco DMVPN Configuration Question

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Fri Aug 16 16:05:44 UTC 2013

Don't usually poke NANOG for a second pair of eyes, but got hit with an
urgent need to get connectivity up on a small budget.

I've run into a situation where I require multiple DMVPN spokes to be
behind a single NAT IP (picture of things to come with CGN?)

The DMVPN endpoint works fine behind NAT until a 2nd is added behind the
same IP address.  At that point the hub gets confused and I start seeing
packet loss to the endpoints in a round-robin fashion.

As far as I can see Cisco documentation says pretty clearly that each DMVPN
spoke requires a unique IP address.  Is there any way around this, or do I
need to be looking at an alternative VPN solution?

Hub config:

----8<----
 description DMVPN
 bandwidth 100000
 ip address 10.231.254.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 ip mtu 1400
 ip nhrp authentication ! removed
 ip nhrp map multicast dynamic
 ip nhrp network-id 1
 ip nhrp redirect
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
 tunnel source ! removed
 tunnel mode gre multipoint
 tunnel key 0
 tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN
----8<----

Spoke:

----8<----
interface Tunnel2
 description DMVPN
 bandwidth 100000
 ip vrf forwarding DMVPN
 ip address 10.231.254.10 255.255.255.0
 no ip redirects
 ip mtu 1400
 ip nhrp authentication ! removed
 ip nhrp map multicast ! removed
 ip nhrp map 10.231.254.1 ! removed
 ip nhrp network-id 1
 ip nhrp nhs 10.231.254.1
 ip nhrp shortcut
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
 tunnel source FastEthernet0/0
 tunnel mode gre multipoint
 tunnel key 0
 tunnel protection ipsec profile DMVPN
end

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net