WaPo writes about vulnerabilities in Supermicro IPMIs

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Fri Aug 16 14:17:35 UTC 2013

    Hi,

    I find it odd that this is suddenly news...

    There is plenty of security updates for iBMC/iDrac/etc from
IBM/HP/Dell/etc over the years.

But:

    You can use ipmitool, rootkit/exploit some Linux box and upload your
own firmware in that iBMC/iDrac/etc... for example the BMC firmware for
a Dell C1100 leave plenty of space to inject your own shell in it.  And
Voila! access to the management network =D.

    BTW I got ipmitool working even on VMWare 5.1 :(

Counter:

    We (PCIDSS hat) always check for those management interfaces and
"proposed" to move those interfaces into they own VLANs+Subnets.
Meaning: PCI DMZ Zone has its own DMZ iBMC VLAN/Subnet/FW Rules, PCI DB
Zone has its own iBMC VLAN/Subnet/FW Rules, etc.

    It is a few more VLAN/Subnets... but modern Firewall can handle this
easy.

    PS: "proposed" as in not giving them a choice =D

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443