How big is the Internet?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 15 03:11:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sean Donelan" <sean at donelan.com>

> What are the current estimates about the size of the Internet, all IP
> networks including managed IP and private IP, and all
> telecommunications including analog voice, video, sensor data, etc?

I can't decide, Sean, whether it's obvious or amusing that when I dug back
to the beginning of this thread, it would be you who'd asked.  (It says
some things I don't want to know about how email clients attribute these
days, but that's neither here nor there.)

Did you want that in "assigned IP addresses", "active IP addresses",
"core routes", "core routes, deaggregated", "route miles of fiber",
"aggregate bandwidth", or something else?

I'm tempted to go with either "mind-bogglingly big" or "42", but since
it's you, I'll assume you want an actual answer.

Didn't someone recently redo the IPv4 census?  Like last year?

Cheers,
-- jra