How big is the Internet?

Jason Chambers jchambers at ucla.edu
Wed Aug 14 20:10:39 UTC 2013

On 8/14/13 7:32 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Researchers have complained for years about the lack of good
> statistics about the internet for a couple fo decades, since the
> end of NSFNET statistics.
>
> What are the current estimates about the size of the Internet, all IP
> networks including managed IP and private IP, and all telecommunications
> including analog voice, video, sensor data, etc?
>
> CAIDA, ITU, Telegeography and some vendors like Cisco have released
> forecasts and estimates.  There are occasional pieces of information
> stated by companies in their investor documents (SEC 10-K, etc).

I stumbled on (an) ANT the other day.  Very interesting, esp. the part
about tracking the growth of Google.  I've only made a cursory review
over some of the projects but I think it is somewhat relevant to your
research, and I'm sure there are many other similar .edu projects you
could cull together for a rough estimate.

http://ant.isi.edu/blog/
http://www.isi.edu/ant/index.html

OPTE seems to have gone stale, too bad.  Mapping the internet in a
single day... instant gratification !

http://www.opte.org/status/
http://opte.org/history/

Regards,