Exchange Point

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sat Aug 10 23:21:36 UTC 2013

>> Does anyone see value in putting a open exchange point in one federal in
>> Springfield, MA?
>
> Springfield, Mass.?  Can't hurt…

Agreed.  There's essentially no reason not to put in an exchange, anywhere three or more ISPs are present.

> There's also Boston Internet Exchange which has been slowly picking up
> steam, over at 1 Summer; you may want to look into remote interconnection.

That's 90 miles away, so I'd recommend not trying to extend their switch fabric that far.  If you were considering a second exchange in Boston, I'd definitely recommend using the same switch fabric for both locations, but not at 90 miles of remove.  That would put a pretty big burden on the smaller ISPs that are likely to be participating in Springfield.

                                -Bill