questions regarding prefix hijacking

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Wed Aug 7 21:55:11 UTC 2013

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson
Neilson Productions Limited

alexander at neilson.net.nz
021 329 681
022 456 2326

On 8/08/2013, at 9:47 AM, Marsh Ray <maray at microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

I would see there being a problem with Wikipedia trying to categorise some of them as accidental / malicious. I think if it was done it would have to be list where ones that were publicly announced as accidental would be listed as accidents and the rest left un noted to comply with neutral point of view and verification.

>> do we really need that?
>
> Have you ever heard of someone using IP addresses as an access control mechanism? (AKA, "IP whitelist")
>
> When I hear about this, I would really *love* to be able to link them to a credible source.
>
>> they seem to occur often enough that that isn't really required :(
>
> *I* believe you, but in practice that's not sufficient to convince many other folks.
> Currently, a section of a page on Wikipedia lists 7 incidents going back to 1997.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_hijacking#Public_incidents
>
> Serious question: Do folks here feel that is an accurate representation of this phenomenon in practice?

I would tend to say as it lists BGPmon.net as an external link thats a good resource for finding out about other ones that have happened. Also maybe that section should be renamed notable incidents and just have it as a sample of some of these incidents.