questions regarding prefix hijacking

Marsh Ray maray at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 7 21:47:26 UTC 2013

Have you ever heard of someone using IP addresses as an access control mechanism? (AKA, "IP whitelist")

When I hear about this, I would really *love* to be able to link them to a credible source.

> they seem to occur often enough that that isn't really required :(

*I* believe you, but in practice that's not sufficient to convince many other folks.
Currently, a section of a page on Wikipedia lists 7 incidents going back to 1997.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_hijacking#Public_incidents

Serious question: Do folks here feel that is an accurate representation of this phenomenon in practice?

- Marsh