Comcast contact

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Aug 7 03:55:38 UTC 2013

"Shaw, Matthew" <mshaw at fairpoint.com> writes:

> Make sure the remote phone is using a low bandwidth codec too. In a
> previous life changing a remote (home) user's phone from G.711 to
> G.729 made all the difference in the world to their call quality.

i think you've got that backwards.  80 kbit/sec on the wire is not a
lot these days, and in a world where we're conditioned to accept gsm
or worse, un-transcoded g.711u sounds startlingly good.  if you're so
short on bandwidth that moving to a 24 kbit/sec on the wire codec
makes a difference, you're on the ragged edge of being hosed.

-r