BGP related question

Shah, Parthiv Parthiv.Shah at theclearinghouse.org
Thu Aug 1 14:00:02 UTC 2013

My apology if I am asking for a repeat question on the list. On 7/29/13 I read an incident about accidental BGP broadcast see article here https://isc.sans.edu/diary/BGP+multiple+banking+addresses+hijacked/16249 or older 2008 incident http://www.renesys.com/2008/02/pakistan-hijacks-youtube-1/

My questions:

1)      I would like to understand how can we detect and potentially prevent activities like this? I understand native BGP was not design to authenticate IP owners to the BGP broadcaster. Therefore, issues like this due to a human error would happen. How can activities like this be detected as this is clearly a threat if someone decides to broadcast IP networks of an organization and knock the real org. off the Net. 2) In reference to prevention, I recall there were discussions about secure BGP (S-BGP), Pretty Good BGP, or Secure Original BGP but I don't remember if any one of them was finalized (from practicality viewpoint) and if any one of them is implementable/enforceable by ISPs (do anyone have any insight)? 3) If I was to ask for an opinion, from your viewpoint which one is better and why and which one is not doable and why not?

Thank you in advance,
Parthiv

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and notify us immediately.