Tier1 blackholing policy?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Apr 30 15:12:12 UTC 2013

On Apr 30, 2013, at 11:07 , Chris Boyd <cboyd at gizmopartners.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 10:59 -0400, ML wrote:

>> 1) Do nothing - They're supposed deliver any and all bits
>> (Disregarding
>> a DoS or similiar situation which impedes said network)
>> 2) Prefix filter - Don't be a party (at least in one direction) to the
>> bad actors traffic.
>
> 3 - Deliver all packets unless I've signed up for an enhanced security
> offering?

While I like that plan, there are a LOT more people who will scream about not being "protected" than those who will bitch they can't get to a phishing site.

Since networks are for-profit companies, they'll lower their costs (e.g. support calls), as long as it lowers their cost more than the "cost" of losing a customer or two (and let's be honest, that is about all they _might_ lose) who are religious about the whole "transit means everywhere" thing.

--
TTFN,
patrick