"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Mon Apr 29 18:46:42 UTC 2013

On 4/29/13 1:03 AM, "Jérôme Nicolle" <jerome at ceriz.fr> wrote:

>Le 24/04/2013 07:46, Tore Anderson a écrit :
>> Trying to reclaim and redistribute unused space would be a tremendous
>> waste of effort.
>
>It is necessary to keep an acceptable churn and still allocate small
>blocks to newcomers, merely to deploy CGNs.
>
>Not doing so would end up in courts for entry barrier enforced by a
>monopoly (the RIRs).

There is a /10 reserved to facilitate IPv6 deployment:
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four10

"Reclamation" is facilitated by offering a financial benefit, i.e.,
selling underused addresses.

>Therefore it is inevitable to reclaim unused address space as long as
>there's a demand for IPv4, wich will still be strong as long as major
>players refuse to do their jobs.
>
>Moreover, I think it's necessary for all responsible LIR and RIRs to
>take a stand and vote policies to reclaim address space from networks
>who are still not deploying IPv6 as those obviously don't want to be a
>part of the Internet anymore.

I encourage you to propose such a policy:
https://www.arin.net/participate/how_to_participate.html
Please make sure the proposal includes clear metrics for when to reclaim,
so ARIN staff isn't forced to rely on what may be inconsistent judgement
calls.

Lee