IPv6 and HTTPS

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 29 17:29:07 UTC 2013

On 4/29/2013 11:11 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Best of luck with that strategy. I think this ignores the growing IPv4
> demand that will be coming from your business customers and assumes
> that your residential customers are all that you have to stack onto
> these addresses.

The residential currently eats up a majority of my addresses, so the
more I can recover from them for business customers, the better.

> Telling a customer to reboot a router (or a single host) isn't all
> that bad. After all, they probably did that at least 5 times at the
> behest of your front-line support folks before they reached someone
> that understood the problem anyway. (At least that's been my general
> experience with most residential providers).

Perhaps my viewpoint is different, given that I only have two lines of
support folk, and talking to me is a rarity for a customer. :)

> Or 7, as required by CALEA. The problem with draft-donely is that
> customers that exceed the expected number of ports run into issues (or
> additional logging required), so you either don't get the best
> efficiency out of your addresses, or you get problems in other ways. Owen

That problem was mentioned on v6ops, and the general lesson that I took
from it is to not exceed 16:1 ratio if it can be helped. 4k ports should
be fine. 64:1 is probably sustainable for a lot of customers with 1k
ports, but there will be a percentage that will have issues. Luckily,
most of those with issues are usually running services that require
opt-out anyways.

If I calculate correctly, even at 20% of my residential(70% of total
allocated) on CGN, I'm regaining 18% of my residential assignments with
a 16:1 ratio. I could conservatively figure a years worth of my usual
allocation has been saved. If I can push better numbers, I'll get more
years.

Jack