IPv6 and HTTPS

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Apr 28 23:53:50 UTC 2013

I don't see turning IPv4 off as a short-term goal for anyone.

OTOH, I do see the cost of maintaining residential IPv4 service escalating over about the next 5-7 years.

Lee Howard sees roughly the same thing. (He has fancier math and better statistics than I used).

Bottom line, it is unlikely that $residential_price will be sufficient to sustain residential IPv4 service(s) beyond about 2018. The biggest question in that equation will be what percentage of residential users are behind the unmaintainable CGN solutions and what percentage retain service similar to the current (sad) state of affairs. For the customers in the latter category, they might be able to continue until their addresses are needed for more profitable services.

Owen