KVM

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Apr 26 20:49:10 UTC 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:36 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at an IP-KVM. I don't need anything high res as I only
> need to see Linux consoles, BIOS, and RAID. What I am looking for:
> Non-Java client that runs on Linux (or a WebUI that will deploy a
> decent RDP or VNC session over SSL).
> Decent/configurable key mappings (ie, I've had a KVM a while ago where
> you had to pull down a menu for F-keys - not cool).
> Decently priced dongles (say ~$100?)
>
> I started looking at the Raritan devices (which can be found really
> cheap on ebay) but I only see a Java client and no mention of
> installing a client on Linux.

Related -- kinda.

A while back someone used to sell a cable / thingie that would allow you to use your laptop as a keyboard and monitor. Basically it had a VGA / HDMI and PS/2 port on one side, and a USB port on the other -- you'd plug the USB into your laptop (and run some client) and the VGA / PS/2 into a server, machine, whatever. Whatever the server sent would show up on the laptop -- basically this means you can avoid having a crash cart. I've done a crappy job of explaining it, but does anyone know what I'm on about? Who made this? It is still available?

"Have you got any previous convictions?"

"Well, I dunno... I suppose I used to believe very firmly that a penny saved is a penny earned--"
-- Terry Pratchett