"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 14:23:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM, Geoff Huston <gih at apnic.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>> apnic allocation reserved  the final /8 for /22 maximal allocations. Couple that with some qualifying very large assignments towards the end of stage two e.g between feb 1 and april 14 2011 7 provider assignments combined soaked up more than 2 /8s and you get rapid runout towards the endgame.
>>

> APNIC used a 12 month allocation window right up to the point of exhaustion, while RIPE was operating on a 3 month window, as is ARIN. That may be a contributing factor in explaining the differences in behaviour in the final months / weeks.
>
> But its not just that.
>
> Other factors include large developing countries with massive DSL deployments underway (China, India) mean that in the APNIC region we were not looking at a wired infrastructure market sector that was already saturated. Quite the opposite. Similarly the wireless market in Asia was / is expanding rapidly for much the same reason (wireless is cheaper to deploy than wired if you have absolutely no pre-installed wireless infrastructure). i.e. the unmet demand overhang as compared to the available address pools was massive in Asia. Now that does not imply that Europe and the Middle East has no demand overhang, but perhaps not on the same scale as was experienced by APNIC in early 2011.
>
> Also in September last year the European financial situation was still impacting on the problems of the service industry (and still is in many countries). So the underlying capital-driven demand factors were different between Europe and Asia. Perhaps it was more challenging for European entities to demonstrate an expansion of their Internet service infrastructure over rolling 3 months windows due to a slow down in consumer demand in parts of Europe.
>
> What factors will play out in the North American market? It might be interesting to look at address allocations by country by year. One such table of the top 10 countries in terms of IPv4 allocations since 2007 is at http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2013-01/2012.html, table 3.The peak US year was 2007 with 48M addresses. in 2011 ARIN introduced the 3 month allocation window, and allocating that year halved from the previous year. Last year they were a little higher at 28M addresses. What drove last year's numbers in ARIN was a total of 16M addresses allocated to Canadian entities. So to what extent is this a saturated market already in terms of the deployment of service infrastructure? To what extent are new devices simply replacing old, and to what extent are the dynamics of the market in that region driven by provider churn as distinct from greenfields expansion? Obviously the answers to such questions have a strong impact on the underlying model of overall demand for more addresses in the region.

One interesting twist in all of this is that several of these new
"slow-start" players in the ARIN region seem to be servicing customers
outside of the region with equipment and services hosted here inside
the ARIN region (see slide 12 on the ARIN 31 "Policy Implementation
and Experience Report"
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_31/PDF/monday/nobile_policy.pdf).
This fact may negate the market saturation affect completely.

Cheers,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann