"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Antonio Querubin tony at lavanauts.org
Fri Apr 26 13:58:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, joel jaeggli wrote:

> On 4/25/13 10:16 PM, Matt Palmer wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 07:49:03PM -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:

>> Even if the only thing that supported IPv6 was ELB, and everything else was
>> still IPv4 internally, that'd put a lot of traffic on IPv6 very quickly,
>> and
>> ELB is something *entirely* controlled by AWS (you CNAME to an ELB FQDN,
>> AWS
>> takes care of resolution and proxies a TCP connection to your instance).

> elb ipv6 support has been in place for some time (may 2011 for us east and
> ireland)
>
> "IPv6 support is currently available in the following Amazon EC2 regions: US
> East (Northern Virginia), US West (Northern California), US West (Oregon), EU
> (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), and Asia Pacific (Singapore).?

That use of CNAMES by AWS ELB poses a problem for websites setup as
domainname.tld and also have MX records for the domain.  I ran into this
problem recently with an organization that moved their website to AWS and
found they had to use the Amazon real servers' IP address in their DNS
instead of the ELB hostname.  Unfortunately we were told the real server
doesn't have an IPv6 address.  Only the load balancer does.

Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  tony at lavanauts.org
xmpp:  antonioquerubin at gmail.com