skype shoots self in foot

JP froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Fri Apr 26 06:33:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 03:12:46PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> skype seems to have made the latest 6.x incompatible with 2.8 (which
> folk who care about screen real estate run) in that video no longer
> works between them.
>
> until widespread availability of webrtc, a bunch of us are using
> jitsi for video, https://jitsi.org/
>   o uses open standard protocols
>   o free, open source, apple pie, ...
>   o supports opus codec which has really good performance across a
>     wide range of bandwidth http://www.opus-codec.org/comparison/
>   o multi-participant video on xmpp-based videobridge, also open
>     source
>   o does xmpp, sip, aim, icq, yahoo, ...

And last I tried it, it kept segfaulting on something dumb ;)
Nice to see it supports opus though. And I really wish the FOSS software
in this space didn't suck so much.

> i have an ejabberd+videobridge up if folk want test/use accounts.
> and it's easy to put up your own, of course.
>
> and while you are looking at escaping other big company servers,
> check out http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html, real
> peer to peer dropbox.

Since you've already done the legwork on that, maybe share some comments
so people can see how they could do it in their own env?

-J