"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Apr 26 02:49:03 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 07:27 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> At some level, I wonder how much the feedback loop of "providers
>> won't deploy ipv6 because everybody says they won't deploy ipv6"
>> has caused this self-fulfilling prophecy :/
> It's a definite issue. The bigger issue is the financial incentives are all in the
> wrong direction.
>
> Eyeball networks have an incentive not to deploy IPv6 until content providers
> have done so or until they have no other choice.

Yet, eyeball networks are the ones being asked to pony up all of the
cost to put in place the hacks to keep v4 running so they don't get
support center calls. That's a pretty asymmetric, and a potential opportunity.

>> On the other hand, there is The Cloud. I assume that aws and all of the
>> other major vm farms have native v6 networks by now (?). I hooked up
> You again assume facts not in evidence. Many cloud providers have done
> IPv6. Rackspace stands out as exemplary in this regard. Linode has done
> some good work in this space.
>
> AWS stands out as a complete laggard in this area.

Heh... that's why I put all kinds of question marks and hedges :)
That's disappointing about aws. On the other hand, if aws lights
up v6, a huge amount of content will be v6 capable in one swell-foop.
Which is a different problem of death by a thousand cuts of corpro
data centers, and racked up servers in no-name cages.

>> v6 support on linode in, oh, less than an hour for my site. Maybe part
>> of this just evangelizing with the Cloud folks to get the word out that
>> v6 is both supported *and* beneficial for your site? And it might give them
>> a leg up with "legacy" web infrastructure data centers to lure them? "Oh,
>> your corpro IT guys won't light up v6? let me show you how easy it is on
>> $MEGACLOUD".
> +1 -- I encourage people to seek providers that support IPv6.

Name. and. shame. At some level, some amount of bs is probably useful
to scare the suits: "OMG, VZW'S PHONES SUPPORT V6, DO WE DO THAT????".
Roll your eyes, but, well, remember they're suits.

Mike