IPv6 and HTTPS

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Apr 26 01:37:59 UTC 2013

We're a host catering to just ecommerce sites and consume an
IPv4 address for each site specifically because of SSL certs.
SNI (Server Name Indication) is what you're thinking of to let
SSL send the hostname as the handshake process begins and
does indeed eliminate the need for an exclusive IP (although
there will always be a high rate of people who avoid shared
IP's for SEO reasons since the search engines are doing nothing
to eliminate that concern).  The problem with SNI is many
older, but still commonly used, browsers don't support it,
such as IE on Windows XP, which certainly won't disappear long
before address run-out is a distant memory.

My guess is amongst hosting providers, SSL is the cause for
much of the usage; I have no feel for how may IP addresses
are allocated towards hosts versus anything else though.

David