IPv6 and HTTPS

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 26 01:36:13 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> said:
> Does anyone know how much IPv4 space is allocated *specifically* to cater
> to the fact that HTTPS requires a dedicated IP per DNS name?
>
> Is that a statistically significant percentage of all the IPs in use?

I have no numbers, but my gut feeling is that there are a lot more
eyeballs than web servers with lots of IPs.

> Wasn't there something going on to make HTTPS IP muxable?  How's that coming?

SNI; RFC 3546

> How fast could it be deployed?

The RFC is just shy of 10 years old, so that's like a baby compared to
IPv6.

It is mostly deployed, but there's still a fair number of old clients
that don't support it.  WinXP+IE is probably the biggest fail, followed
by Android < 3.0 and BlackBerry.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>