"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Apr 25 20:09:16 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 11:09 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>
>> So here is the question I have: when we run out, is there *anything* that
>> will reasonably allow an ISP to *not* deploy carrier grade NAT? Assuming
>> that it's death for the ISP to just say no to the long tail of legacy v4-only
>> sites?
> This assumes facts not in evidence. However, given that assumption, it's
> not so much a question of whether to CGN, but how. It looks like it may
> be far better, for example, to do something like 464xlat with an all IPv6
> network than to run dual-stack with NAT444 or DS-LITE.
>
> There's no shortage of possible ways to run IPv4 life support, but they're
> all life support. You have all the same risks as human life support…
>
> Intracranial pressure, diverse intravascular coagulopathy (DIC),
> stroke (CVA), embolisms, etc. In the network, we refer to these
> as router instability, state table overflow, packet loss, bottlenecks,
> etc.
>
> Other options include NAT64/DNS64, A+P, etc.
>
> Bottom line… The more IPv6 gets deployed on the content side, the less
> this is going to hurt. Eyeballs will be forced to deploy soon enough. It's
> content and consumer electronics that are going to be the most painful
> laggards.

At some level, I wonder how much the feedback loop of "providers
won't deploy ipv6 because everybody says they won't deploy ipv6"
has caused this self-fulfilling prophecy :/

On the other hand, there is The Cloud. I assume that aws and all of the
other major vm farms have native v6 networks by now (?). I hooked up
v6 support on linode in, oh, less than an hour for my site. Maybe part
of this just evangelizing with the Cloud folks to get the word out that
v6 is both supported *and* beneficial for your site? And it might give them
a leg up with "legacy" web infrastructure data centers to lure them? "Oh,
your corpro IT guys won't light up v6? let me show you how easy it is on
$MEGACLOUD".

Mike