"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

ML ml at kenweb.org
Wed Apr 24 18:45:04 UTC 2013

On 4/23/2013 5:41 PM, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
> I didn't see any mention of this Tony Hain paper:
>
> http://tndh.net/~tony/ietf/ARIN-runout-projection.pdf
>
> tl;dr: ARIN predicted to run out of IP space to allocate in August this year.
>
> Are you ready?

Where do the startup ISPs whom didn't qualify for PI IPv4 in the past
fit into a post-run out world where they would qualify?
I am speaking in generics but also about a real ISP that is in this
situation today.

In my example This ISP could show need for a /22 but wasn't multihoming
at the time and likely will not until after run-out.
How does such an ISP begin to address their backbone and customers
facing interfaces without tying themselves to an ISP and their PA space?

I don't imagine they will be open to paying extortion prices for IPs
that other people never bothered to use.