KVM

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 22:17:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Derrick H. <nanog at lacutt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:36:37PM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
>> I'm looking at an IP-KVM. I don't need anything high res as I only
>> need to see Linux consoles, BIOS, and RAID. What I am looking for:
>> Non-Java client that runs on Linux (or a WebUI that will deploy a
>> decent RDP or VNC session over SSL).
>> Decent/configurable key mappings (ie, I've had a KVM a while ago where
>> you had to pull down a menu for F-keys - not cool).
>> Decently priced dongles (say ~$100?)
>
> I've never used this but saw it mentioned on a mailing list and wished
> we hadn't already purchased something else:
> http://us.adder.com/products/adderlink-ipeps  It uses the VNC protocol.
>
> We'd already purchased the SpiderDuo from Lantronix which is reliant
> upon a Java Webstart client (unfortunately) but works well:
> http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spiderduo.html
>

> Derrick

Lantronix has some tools for enterprise management of the IP-KVMs.
Look at http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/management-platform/vslm.html

FYI: Most newish IPMI or IP-KVM have limited to full TLS/SSL and IPv6
support. Enable TLS/SSL to secure console access to your servers.

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~