KVM

Steven Saner ssaner at hubris.net
Tue Apr 23 22:13:27 UTC 2013

On 04/23/2013 05:01 PM, Derrick H. wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:36:37PM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
>> I'm looking at an IP-KVM. I don't need anything high res as I only
>> need to see Linux consoles, BIOS, and RAID. What I am looking for:
>> Non-Java client that runs on Linux (or a WebUI that will deploy a
>> decent RDP or VNC session over SSL).
>> Decent/configurable key mappings (ie, I've had a KVM a while ago where
>> you had to pull down a menu for F-keys - not cool).
>> Decently priced dongles (say ~$100?)
>
> I've never used this but saw it mentioned on a mailing list and wished
> we hadn't already purchased something else:
> http://us.adder.com/products/adderlink-ipeps  It uses the VNC protocol.

We have used a couple of the Adderlink devices and they work pretty
well. One model is kind of handy in that in addition to the IP/VNC
console, you can also connect a keyboard and monitor to it so you have a
"local" console as well. We have had success connecting the Adderlink to
standard KVM switches so we effectively have access to multiple consoles
through the one device.

Steve