"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Apr 23 22:04:23 UTC 2013

In a message written on Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:41:40PM -0400, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
> I didn't see any mention of this Tony Hain paper:
>
> http://tndh.net/~tony/ietf/ARIN-runout-projection.pdf
>
> tl;dr: ARIN predicted to run out of IP space to allocate in August this year.

Here's a Geoff Houston report from 2005:
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XVI/PDF/wednesday/huston_ipv4_roundtable.pdf

I point to page 8, and the prediction "RIR Pool Exhaustion, 4 June
2013".

Those of us who paid attention are well prepared.

tl;dr: Real statistical models properly executed in 2005 were remarkably
       close to the reality 8 years later.