What do people use public suffix for?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sat Apr 20 01:17:14 UTC 2013

On 4/19/2013 4:33 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> It seems this is more about providing a security function to DNS, to
> inform the public, about where the responsible parties change.

Absent a view that somehow says all metadata is a security function, I
don't see how the marking of administrative boundaries qualifies as a
security function.

It's easy to imagine security functions that are 'in support of' the
enforcement of the boundaries, but that's quite different from having an
annotation mechanism to assert the boundaries.

Let's be careful not to overload functions here.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking