What do people use public suffix for?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Apr 19 20:49:33 UTC 2013

On 4/19/2013 12:57 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
> To reinforce Joe's point, there doesn't even need to be a zone cut for
> there to be an administrative cut. There are various ISPs and dynamic DNS
> providers that put all their users in the same zone, and the common suffix
> of a zone like this should be treated as public suffix even though there
> is no zone cut.

Zones are nice constructs for partitioning operational management of DNS
data, but I believe they were not intended to impart semantics about
organizational boundaries.

The fact that they often correlate moderately well makes it easy to miss
the facts that a) that's not their job, and b) the correlation isn't
perfect.  And the imperfections matter.

That is why there is the current interest in developing a cheap,
accurate method that /is/ intended to define organizational boundaries.

d/
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking