Why are there no GeoDNS solutions anywhere in sight?

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Thu Apr 11 23:04:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:53:49PM -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> That being said there are lots of options that might be "good enough":
>
>  - PowerDNS has a Geo backend - http://doc.powerdns.com/html/geo.html
>  - There are various patches for Bind
>  - Gdnsd - https://github.com/blblack/gdnsd
>  - GeoDNS - https://github.com/abh/geodns
>
> I use the latter for the www.pool.ntp.org service where it sends users
> to one of about 4000 local servers ("pops") in about 100 countries
> about 15 billion times a month.

I haven't done it yet but gdnsd appeared to be the one to use when I
tested some stuff out.  The idea was to deligate a geo.domainname.com
zone to gdnsd and have it perform the GEO DNS lookups.  The PowerDNS
one, while testing it, gave me problems trying to figure out how to get
the geographical data since the readme I was using was out of date and a
lot of the information lead to non-existent links etc.