Quad-A records in Network Solutions ?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Apr 10 03:56:15 UTC 2013

In message <5648A8908CCB564EBF46E2BC904A75B15FF1684ABF at EXVPMBX100-1.exc.icann.o
rg>, Leo Vegoda writes:

> Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Joe is an employee of the corporation, a rather high ranking one. As I
> > mentioned in my response to Mark, he _may_ be in a position to
> > encourage both legal to develop new language for future addition to
> > the RAA, and the Registrar Liaison to socialize the issue to those RAA
> > parties who are members of the Registrar Stakeholder Group within the
> > Contracted Parties House of the GNSO, and the Compliance team.
> >
> > As a matter of policy development you should expect that Registrars
> > (recall hat) have been presented with ... proposed new terms and
> > conditions that ... are not universally appreciated, and so one must
> > either (a) impose new conditions unilaterally upon counter-parties,
> > arguing some theory of necessity, or (b) negotiate a mutually
> > agreeable modification.
>
> IPv6 was on the table from the start of the RAA negotiations, as I
> understand it. When I scanned the draft RAA posted a few weeks back I
> noticed language like:
>
> "3.3.1 At its expense, Registrar shall provide an interactive web page
> and a port 43 Whois service (each accessible via both IPv4 and IPv6)
> [...]"
>
> and
>
> "2. IPv6  - To the extent that Registrar offers registrants the ability
> to register nameserver addresses, Registrar must allow both IPv4
> addresses and IPv6 addresses to be specified."
>
> There are multiple documents to read and you can find them all here.
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/proposed-raa-07mar13-en.htm
>
> If anyone has specific questions about the draft RAA, they should
> contact Samantha Eisner, whose contact details are on that page.
>
> Regards,
>
> Leo

Looking at
https://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/proposed-additional-operation-07mar13-en.pdf
there is nothing which requires registrars to support AAAA on the web
pages when A records are supported on web pages.

AAAA and DS updates currently often required registrants to jump through
all sorts of hoops compared to adding A and NS records.

Maintenance of A, AAAA, NS and DS records are core functionality and
need to be treated as such.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org