Open Resolver Dataset Update

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Apr 9 20:15:39 UTC 2013

Tom,

The main criteria is the RCODE=0 vs RCODE=5 refused.

I exposed the Recursion Available bit this last week to cover more of the use cases, but many servers provide a very large referral to root.

You are correct in that your system doesn't provide that so should be less "visible" as a result.  I haven't coded everything to pull out that level of data from the responses.

Of the responding IPs, a fair percentage 89% respond with the RA bit set.  I'm working to close the gap on exposing the direct data of those last 11% in a more detailed bit of information, including if it provides a root referral or otherwise.

Hope this helps,

- Jared