Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Apr 9 10:45:34 UTC 2013

Huasong Zhou <huasong at kalorama.com> writes:

> We got this modem and router all in one box from Comcast directly.

OK, so the NAT is taking place in the router you got from Comcast, not
in Carrier Grade NAT in Comcast's network.  A fine distinction but an
important one.  The external address of your router is (a) globally
unique, and (b) not shared with any other customer.

> And by the way, home use routers don't assign 10.0.0.0 numbers.

Who told you that?

I offer you as a counterexample (all?  maybe just every one I've
owned?) the Airports from Apple.  Default LAN address is 10.0.1.1.

-r