Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 9 04:01:08 UTC 2013

On Apr 8, 2013, at 20:23 , "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <rajiva at cisco.com> wrote:

> I agree. Apple does it really well, no doubt about it. This is because
> they control both the software and hardware.
>
> Google/Android çan not do it well enough, since the Android OS version
> compatibility with the hardware is somewhat dictated by the hardware
> manufacturer. This isn't always helpful. :-(

But they can actually push pretty well if they had some killer app. that everyone
used and could supply some update that nobody could live without on said
killer app.

Then you just need to flag said update as "requires Android version X" and
poof... All the pressure you need to get everyone running droid up to X.
(Including all the pressure needed to get consumers to push the device
maker.)

> 	For ex, there are numerous android apps that are not supported
> 	on many android devices. :=(

They must not be very important to the bulk of the android users.

> Anyway, this is why I think that dual-stack home networks (and UEs) will
> be with us for a long time.

I don't doubt that dual-stack home networks will be with us for a long time.
What won't be with us for very long is routing IPv4 across service providers.
It can't. It will become far too expensive to do so. The economics aren't going
to work much past about 5 years, maybe 10 if we're really unlucky.

Owen