Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Rajiv Asati (rajiva) rajiva at cisco.com
Mon Apr 8 19:11:02 UTC 2013

Jack,

I am assuming that you meant MAP, when you wrote MAPS.

> The larger issue I think with MAP is CPE support requirements. There are
> ISP layouts that use bridging instead of CPE routers (which was a long
> term design to support IPv6 without CPE replacements years later). CGN
> will handle the IPv4 issues in this setup just fine. Then there are

I agree. Good point, btw.

This is the classical ISP deployment model, in which the ISP would usually
provide the layer2 modem, and let the customer get the retail CPE.

> those who have already deployed IPv6 capable CPEs with PPP or DHCP in a
> router configuration which does not have MAP support. Given the variety
> of CPE vendors that end up getting deployed over a longer period of
> time, it is easier and more cost effective to deploy CGN than try and
> replace all the CPEs.

Seemingly so, until we start adding up the cost of

	- Logging infrastructure (setup & mtc)
	- Static NAT & Port forwarding (gaming, camera, etc.)
	- CGN redundancy & load-sharing
	- design complexity (to maintain symmetry)
	- ..

> Given US$35/CPE, cost for replacements (not including deployment costs)
> for 20k users is US$700k. CGN gear suddenly doesn't seem so costly.

Let's throw some numbers of the above costs and then we can do the
apple-to-apple comparison. Else, you are right that CGN cost could be a
lot less.

Cheers,
Rajiv