Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Apr 8 06:24:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I don't disagree. You are actually making the exact point I was
> attempting to make. The need for CGN is not divorced from the failure to
> deploy IPv6, it is caused by it.

Absolutely. That doesn't mean that any individual ISP right now can choose
to *not* implement CGN and deploy IPv6. That won't solve IPv4 address
depletion *for that ISP*.

This is an industry-wide failure that no individual part of the industry
can work around. For most ISPs, deploying some kind of CGN is the only
rational decision at this time.

We can discuss what could have should have happened earlier, but now we're
here. Yes, ISPs should deploy IPv6. Everybody should deploy IPv6.

But I still believe that CGN is mostly orthogonal to IPv6 deployment.
Saying ISPs today are wrong to deploy CGN and that they should deploy IPv6
(the word "instead" is usually not there, but it still seems to be
implied), I just don't understand that argument.

Is it just that the ISP in question hasn't announced their IPv6 plans in
the same announcement that is the problem? So that people believe CGN is
part of a future-proof strategy?

So if the ISP says "we're going to deploy CGN for select customers during
2H-2013 due to IPv4 run-out, and at the same time we're planning to start
rolling out IPv6 for customers who have upgradable equipment", does that
help? If the ISP has been around for a while, it's still a huge part of
the customer base that won't be upgradable, and those customers will be
stuck behind NAT444 until they do something.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se